Introduction to database management systems and databases
- What is a database?
- Popular database management system (DBMS) software and why Oracle DBMS.
- History and Current trends of DBMS and Database administration.
- Oracle database market share and about its current competitive landscape.
Tasks of a Database Administrator.
- Relational Database Model and Installing Oracle database software.
- Designing a relational database using Entity-Relationship Modeling.
- Understand per-requisites for a successful Oracle RDBMS software installation.
- Installation of Oracle 11g R2 database software (Oracle DBMS).
- Installation of Oracle 12c database software (Latest Release).
Oracle Database Architecture
- Planning for an Oracle database creation.
- Creating an Oracle database using the MANUAL method.
- Creating an Oracle database using the Graphical Tool (Database Configuration Assistant).
- Startup and Shutdown of a database.
- Components of an Oracle database and detailed architecture.
- Advance Startup and Shutdown Scenarios.
- Oracle database memory and process architecture.
- Database storage
Table spaces and allocation types.
- Create table spaces.
- Create data files with fixed size and auto extend option.
- Control files and producing a trace output to view its contents.
- How to rename data files in a control file.
- Redo log File architecture and best practices.
- Enabling Archive log mode for a database with automatic archiving.
- Temporary table spaces and temporary table space groups (11g R2 new feature).
- Oracle listener configuration (Dynamic and Static Listeners).
- Dynamic Service Registration and Naming Methods configuration in sqlnet.ora.
- Oracle database connections from other computers.
- Using Oracle netca (Network Configuration Assistant) for network configuration file tnsnames.ora.
- Oracle listener administration and TNS_ADMIN environment variable.
- Database Links.
User Administration and Security
- How to create database users.
- How to set database profile limits for a user.
- Unlocking a user account and enabling password management.
- Oracle database authorization using object and system privileges.
- Oracle database authorization using database roles.
- How to audit Oracle database connections in standard and XML mode.
- How to audit Oracle DBA commands (SYS Operations).
- How to schedule Oracle database jobs using DBMS_SCHEDULER package.
Used Managed (Manual) Backup and Recovery
- Introduction and planning for a robust Backup and Recovery Strategy.
- How to take an Oracle database backup in offline mode (COLD BACKUP).
- Hot to take an Oracle database backup in online mode (HOT BACKUP).
- How to clone a database using Cold Backup.
- How to clone a database using Hot Backup.
- How to recreate source database from a user-managed backup (Media failure scenario).
RMAN Backup and Recovery
- Advantages of RMAN method compared to manual method.
- Database backup using RMAN in normal and compressed mode.
- Oracle database backup metadata.
- Database backup using Recovery catalog (RMAN Catalog).
- Querying the RMAN metadata.
- How to clone a database using RMAN duplicate (11g R2 new feature: Backup based duplication).
- How to restore and recover a database using its backup in the event of a media failure.
- Oracle database backup retention policies and backups to Tape/offsite.
- Fast Recovery Area for better management of backups and archive log files.
Oracle database upgrades
- Introduction to Oracle versions and how to understand a version.
- How to upgrade from a previous release to Oracle 12c.
- How to upgrade from one patch set to another patch set within a release. What is slip streaming?
- What are one-off/interim patches?
- What are quarterly CPU patches (Cumulative Patch Updates)?
- Learn about Oracle Interim Patch Installer (OPATCH).
Oracle 12c database creation (non-CDB) and new features.
- How to create a non-CDB (traditional database) using Oracle 12c dbca utility.
- Learn about the improvements in dbca utility.
- How to configure and use Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Express web based tool.
Oracle 12c's Multitenant Architecture
- Understanding Container database (CDB) and Pluggable Database (PDB) in Oracle 12c release.
- How Oracle 12c CDB, PDB instance architecture differs from Oracle 11g, 10g instance architectures.
- How to create a non-CDB database in Oracle 12c (Traditional database).
- How to create a CDB database in 12c (using the multi-tenant feature).
- How to move (plug) the non-CDB database into the CDB database as a pluggable database (PDB).
- Real world Business use cases for using Oracle 12c Multitenant architecture.
- Oracle database logical backups.
- Business use cases of logical backups compared to physical backups.
- Data Pump Export modes.
- Data Pump Import to import data from an export backup.
- Advanced features in Oracle Data Pump Export.
- How to handle performance issues in the real world.
- V$ views for performance monitoring and analysis.
- How to size the Oracle database memory structures for optimal performance.
Oracle database wait events.
- Explain Oracle UNDO management internals and sizing.
- Explain Oracle TEMP space internals and sizing.
- How to trace database sessions using DBMS_MONITOR and DBMS_SESSION packages.
- How to format SQL trace files using the tkprof utility.
- Database wide tracing for Oracle Errors (Event Tracing).
- Index Monitoring and internals of index maintenance by Oracle.
- Statistics data collection for Oracle database optimizer.
Real world life of an Oracle DBA
- Type of Oracle errors. Valid errors and internal exceptions (ORA-00600 and ORA-07445 errors).
- Monitoring Oracle databases.
- How to work with Oracle Support to create Service Requests.
- Parlance and terminology used by Oracle DBAs.
- Working with Oracle Forums for issues.
- Productivity tools required when you join the work place.
- Scheduling JOBS and scripts through UNIX/LINUX cron tab utility.